FROM MICROSOFT - Windows operating system security update block for some AMD based devices
January 9, 2017 - Microsoft has reports of customers with some AMD devices getting into an unbootable state after installing recent Windows operating system security updates. After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.
To prevent AMD customers from getting into an unbootable state, Microsoft will temporarily pause sending the following Windows operating system updates to devices with impacted AMD processors at this time:
- January 3, 2018—KB4056897 (Security-only update)
- January 9, 2018—KB4056894 (Monthly Rollup)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056888 (OS Build 10586.1356)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056891 (OS Build 15063.850)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056890 (OS Build 14393.2007)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056898 (Security-only update)
- January 3, 2018—KB4056893 (OS Build 10240.17735)
- January 9, 2018—KB4056895 (Monthly Rollup)
If you have a compatible antivirus software application, on an impacted AMD system, you will potentially not receive the update as noted above.
Microsoft is working with AMD to resolve this issue and resume Windows OS security updates to the affected AMD devices via Windows Update and WSUS as soon as possible. For AMD device specific information please contact AMD.
If you are experiencing an unbootable state when updating an AMD device, Microsoft has assembled the following resources to help potentially impacted customers:
- Troubleshoot blue screen errors in Windows 10
- Resolving Blue Screen errors in Windows 8.1
- Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7
Derive Technologies (a Microsoft Gold-certified Partner) is available to support needs surrounding issues with Microsoft software and all desktop, mobile and other systems. Please contact a Derive Microsoft Specialist by calling (212) 363-1111 [New York], (201) 299-9132 [New Jersey] or TOLL-FREE at (844) 363-1110, or by completing the form on this page (please include "Microsoft Security Updates" in the form's comments).